Sunday, March 31, 2013

Almost a Hoarder

From what I've seen and read hoarders collect or stash a wide variety of things, including the trash. I believe I can take solace in the fact that I have no attachment to my trash. Since we moved out of a house I have been getting rid of things both out of necessity and lack of use. I even have clothes with the original tags on them! During our last time off we went through the basement of the motorhome and got rid of a bunch of stuff. I don't know if it's spring or something else but we are now attacking the interior of the motorhome. It's odd the memories an article of clothing or chachka can evoke. I have hemmed and hawed about divesting things all my life. For some reason I place value on the oddest things and I also like to collect; which I'm sure isn't helpful. I take pride in the fact that this process keeps getting easier and easier. Another motivator for me is that I'm not getting any younger and the less I leave behind will make life easier for those cleaning up after me. Now I am down to a few sentimental articles of clothing. my tools and a few TY bears (unless you count my RC trucks and helicopters (-;). I think this process is a part of accepting your fate and maturing; even in your fifties. People have written ad nauseam about how the things your parents taught you become more and more relevant as you age; even though you may have hated and snickered about it at the time. I'm finding that to be so true.

No comments:

Post a Comment