Sunday, February 23, 2014

Wisdom

We have been fortunate that when one of us has had to leave for an extended period either the gate was slow enough, it coincided with time between gates or our employer was kind enough to furnish a substitute. The company we currently contract to is unique in that they keep some elder guards around just for that purpose. If the need extends beyond a day or two they find someone to work the gate with you. Most guard companies will make you find your own substitute, with the caveat that they work for the same guard company.
 
That's not what this post is about; at least not directly. Missy is off to see the doctor and it is taking a bit longer than we thought. Our company has finally found a substitute to work with me in her absence. Not only is this person unfamiliar with gate guarding, she also doesn't know much about RVing. While I'll not hold it against her, she also appears to be lacking in the mechanical aptitude department. Which brings me to my point. In the past I have shared with others that this is a great way to make some money, and I have explained the job from a gate guarding perspective. In the future I am going to endeavor to make sure that I also say that you should be an experienced RVer, with a modicum of knowledge about your RV's systems. I forgot that the average RVer will rarely find himself 50 or more miles from the nearest mechanic, parts store or hookup(s). If the average RVer breaks down or encounters some sort of difficulty he or she can probably call for help. Today I woke up lathered in sweat (I know, not too nice to think about) and quickly ascertained that the breaker on our generator must have tripped. Further investigation found my new partner sitting in our hot guard shack, seemingly oblivious to the fact that the air conditioner was no longer operating or that power had been lost. I'm a little OCD (and anal and dyslexic), which might explain my conducting regular checks of the RV and its support systems. Several times on my shift I make the rounds to ensure that nothing is amiss. To me that is just common sense when you're off the grid; or on a substitute grid-you get what I mean. Just like the old reliable power poles and wires, a good running, reliable generator can lull you into a false sense of complacency. So, I suggest that if you are considering gate guarding you should get to know your RV, how it works and where everything is located on or in it. You or your partner should be able to perform basic troubleshooting and know how to cobble things together, should a problem arise. You do not want to get a reputation for calling a service person out in the middle of the night because a power cord is submerged in rainwater and is tripping the generator breaker, for instance. You will probably be looking for work before you know it. If your generator goes down (which recently happened to us BTW) and you don't want to be sitting without power for how ever long it takes to get a service person out to you, you should be able to conduct basic troubleshooting. And I haven't even begun explaining the proper way to hook up to your generator and support wagon. Time after time I read about folks all upset because their service person connected something incorrectly or put it in the wrong orifice. Folks; that is your property and no one should be hooking up anything unless it's under your direct supervision. I guess I have taken all this accumulated wisdom for granted and forgotten about all the knowledge that is required to maintain an RV in these conditions.

No comments:

Post a Comment