Sunday, March 30, 2014

Adventures in Gardening

I know some of you are going to be put off by the title and read no further. That's a shame, because even if you don't have a green thumb, you should enjoy horticulture. It's a way to relax and enjoy nature without too much effort. As someone once said, if you go fishing and come home empty handed and upset, you missed the point anyway. So what if you kill a plant or two? I truly believe anyone can grow things, given enough practice and effort. I come from a family with a farmers branch and my grandfather and grandmother (on my Mom's side) always kept a good sized garden. I believe I got my desire to grow things from them. It's kind of ironic that others admire my abilities in the garden because I have known folks who could literally put me in the dirt (no pun intended). That whole "green thumb" thing is for real. Haven't you ever known someone that can just sow seeds and the next thing you no he or she is over run with healthy, thriving plants? Meanwhile, just down the street I'm struggling to get tomatoes to grow. We are fortunate (depending on your point of view) to be on a long term gate, so we have settled in and planted a few things. I am not sure how viable the soil is in South Texas when it comes to vegetables, so everything is in pots, except for a small flower garden. We have had mixed luck planting from seeds and a little better success with the sprouts we have found in area stores. Overall the selection is not very good and the stores, without fail, seem to not know how to take care of plants. Wandering about my local Walmart's garden center is very depressing. I even have a few plants that I say I rescued from the evil corporate giant. Anyway, here is the roll call (I say I'm done planting, but you never know): tomatoes, squash, sweet peppers, hot peppers and broccoli. I'm sure there will be an update, good or bad, before long.

No comments:

Post a Comment