Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Where is Emily Post when we need her?

Emily Post used to be the "go to" person when it came to how to comport yourself properly in society. She has covered every subject, from controlling kids to proper behavior in business. There is even the Emily Post Institute website at www.emilypost.com. I got started (AGAIN) on this subject because of the total lack of manners and control I've witnessed when it comes to personal communication devices. If someone has published an "Emily Post" guide on how to behave when communicating in the 21st century, it hasn't taken hold. BTW; whatever happened to those "walkie talkie" type phones? Man, they were annoying. Most folks know what is and isn't acceptable; but more and more of them choose to ignore basic etiquette. Recently a man shot someone for texting in a movie theater. Obviously I don't condone that kind of behavior but I empathize with the guy. As a gate guard we deal with all kinds of persons; but most guards agree that it is the guy or gal that won't either hang up or put a call on hold when checking in that is the most annoying. And don't even get me started on Bluetooth and how annoying it is to compete with that din in a vehicle. Now, on to texting. I don't even know where to begin. It has become a plague and the bane of a lot of folks when attempted in a moving vehicle. It drives me up the wall when I don't get a "prompt" response. The "texter" can choose to ignore the "textee" (or vice versa) and there seems to be no rhyme or reason to the proper etiquette whilst doing it. Let me say this, "Comport yourself however you like when conducting personal texting, but behave like a professional should when texting for business purposes."

Like so much in life exercising a little etiquette when doing anything is always helpful. IMHO the cause of a lot of the ills of today's society can be whittled down to a lack of etiquette and morals. I grew up in an era where corporal punishment was the norm and proper manners were observed at all times. There is no doubt in my mind that I would not be where I am today if not for that. Society would be well served if our children were taught how to respect their elders and behave properly.

No comments:

Post a Comment