Sunday, January 10, 2016

Biding our Time

Well, we didn't win the Wednesday draw for Powerball. Neither did anyone else and the total has reached mythological proportions; almost a billion dollars. I'm bad at math, but I think a thousand million is a billion? My father had advised me to contact an uncle of mine for advice should I ever win the lottery. Whatever the advice is, I would hope that I remain the same person I am now. It would be my desire to pay off all my debts, set up a foundation for philanthropic purposes and ensure that sufficient funds are set aside to allow my family a comfortable life in retirement.

Back to reality. We are setting, waiting on the call for a gate. Though most, if not all, of our expenditures were necessary, it has been an expensive week for us. We both needed an eye exam and glasses and three blowouts (two recently) demanded that we replace the tires on the 5ver. At least almost everything we needed to accomplish is done.

Unfortunately, oil has hit even lower lows which has stymied any upswing in activity in the patch. By my reckoning, this will be the third year in a row without a significant uptick in activity from first quarter funding. All this means we might be sitting for a while, something I am loath to endure. I keep a positive attitude knowing that we will eventually be offered a gate. Lots of our colleagues in the oil and gas industry will not be that lucky. Reliable sources say that our primary customer has just 5 rigs and 5 frack crews working in South Texas. That adds up to a few gates, especially when you consider not all of them require guards.

That leaves us with time to enjoy a few of the simpler pleasures. We both like getting out and about and we share similar hobbies (except I don't crochet). I derive great pleasure from flying my drones. Unlike some of my fellow operators, I enjoy keeping them in sight and the mere challenge of controlling them. No complicated, GPS coordinated photographic missions for me. The fragile nature of these awesome machines (plus the fact that the majority are made cheaply in China) makes for a steep learning curve. Luckily parts are readily available and most repairs are pretty straight forward. FWIW, if you are contemplating succumbing to you or your kids desire to own one; you'll save yourself a lot of heartache if you do your research first by ascertaining the availability of parts. The last time we bought a drone, we called the manufacturer in the store to ensure they supported the product. Note this. If you fly you will eventually crash and parts will fail. Part of the hobby is repairing them. I recommend the following makes that support their product and or have ample parts available: Traxxas, Syma and World Tech Toys. All are available on Amazon. Here's hoping you join me in this enjoyable hobby.

No comments:

Post a Comment