Sunday, April 3, 2011

Expecting the Unexpected

As Workampers we have learned to expect just about any job to be assigned to us. For the last three days I've been digging in rock (literally) hard soil. One day I dug post holes for parking signs; one day I sorted through and arranged/stacked heavy flagstone around trees and planters and today I dug holes looking for electrical wire paths. Last week, I was volunteered to help out at the new hotel they're building here. So, I spent the day vacuuming and mopping up the construction mess. Talk about muscles that you didn't know you had hurting! I now look back and am grateful for the experience my mother afforded me. For about 5-6 years we remodeled houses together and I performed plumbing, drywall, electrical, etc. My father taught me the basics of using tools and how to just about tear anything apart and put it back together. Even if you don't have that wide of a background, there is still a place for you in the world of workamping. Be honest and open to learn. If you want to do it you can! I know most of you out there can run a lawn mower, wield a paint brush or just put your nose to the grindstone.

1 comment:

  1. I have been working hard in the campground office trying to answer the phone and take reservations. I am also going through all the 3 ring binders that have stuff in them from 2005 to now on what we really need. If you are interested in getting into workamping and doing the office job; there are websites that you can download demos. The demos can really let you see if you like working in the office. The office is not really that hard of work but you must be organized.

    ReplyDelete