Monday, January 16, 2012

The Extra Mile

The world of gate guarding can at times become a routine. Even a dull routine now and again. Do you set aside the tedium and react professionally when things spool up again? It could just be that lone "hotshot" that appears out of nowhere at 2 in the morning. I have friends and peers that remind me of the importance of putting on a cheery face and greeting the vehicle/person professionally and politely. You do all of us a disservice by doing anything less. Work is not always about the monetary reward. Pride in what you do should be at the forefront. I read something that went sort of like this-find something you like to do and it won't seem like work when you're doing it. The flip side of all this is that you give yourself the high ground should something go south. You command a lot more respect by appearing alert, dressed appropriately and having your vest and/or hat on. My purpose here is not to "preach" at you. It's to provide a friendly reminder that the job we do is supremely important. You may not get an "atta boy" from your company man or supervisor, but they do appreciate the service you provide. Hopefully this will serve as a wake up call to some of you. For me it serves the double duty of keeping me motivated and preventing me from slipping into a rut.

No comments:

Post a Comment