Thursday, December 29, 2011

Big Brother

Just a quick rant. One of the by products of contracting is that you're considered self employed and therefore responsible for your taxes. Even though the checks we started receiving when we began gate guarding were larger than anything we'd seen in years, we set aside our awe long enough to face that sobering fact. Unlike the rest of the tax code, paying quarterly taxes is fairly easy. You don't suppose there's a reason for that, do you? ( -: As I said, we kept our eyes on the prize and diligently sat monies aside every paycheck for tax purposes. Well today was our first day to actually part with the money and pay big brother. I was not a happy camper, however Missy promises me we actually may see some of it back. If you think the chunk they take out of your paycheck is depressing, try making a quarterly payment. Now, I know we can pay it in chunks (and in the future will), but we haven't been doing this long enough to do that. This has made me see just how much it takes as an individual to keep our mega government operating. It probably won't happen in my lifetime, but I'd love to see a flat tax and/or a national sales tax. Meanwhile me and my leaner pocket wish all of you the happiest of New Years.

No comments:

Post a Comment